2007/08/12

computer hope

Apologies for the nearly 4,000-word previous installment.

Final Chapter - These Things Happen


Okay girls & guys, before anything, I want you to play a song called "Temptation" by New Order. Download it if you don't have it already, and try to get the version from 1987, the 7 minute one. OKOK, fine, you're lazy so here's the link, whatever:

http://download.yousendit.com/5040B2C61A63EE96

Alright then, now that you have that playing in the background, I'll tell you my side of this tale.

My name is Faye Rossi, I'm 21 and a major in Business Administration at Concordia University. I have a minor in Sociology, but I might drop that and just concentrate on Business Admin. I mean, Sociology is interesting and all, but when you get down to it, it's not a real science. And the professors will admit that too. When scientists try to take surveys and analyze human behaviour and reasoning, any sort of scientific methods or control elements fly out the window and you end up with an estimated guess. Case in point, I had one professor who emphasized that you shouldn't trust the Census. She worked as a census survey person when she was young and she told us stories about how she and her co-workers made up all sorts of fake names, fake addresses because they got tired of going to sketchy apartments and crackhouses, like "Lucifer, residing in Hades, Alberta." Anyway, you all don't want to hear about this. I know when I talk too much, but fuck off, I'm a girl, that's what I do.

So yeah, the "rape". Well, most likely because Jacob was really high off his ass and being overdramatic, he sort of overwrote that part. Yeah, I read what he posts up here. It wasn't as bad as he made it seem. No honestly, I know, I'm the girl, I'm supposed to be all the victim and shit, but no. I've been exposed to enough Feminist ideas (go Camille Paglia & Gloria Steinem!) to not accept the poor, little rape victim stereotype.

I wouldn't even call it rape. We were a couple, boyfriend and girlfriend. He was intoxicated, I was sort of tipsy myself. I let him take me into that bedroom and was totally consenting. And he sort of freaked out, which, despite his harrowing description, I can understand. Yes, difficult to believe, but I know my Jake. He's no rapist. A stoner? Yeah. Bit anti-social and introverted? Check. Going nowhere fast? That too. But to throw him and Paul Bernardo and Tarquinius in the same batch of miscreants and scum? No. He's still a kid, he didn't mean it and I'm not traumatized.

What happened in that bedroom was things getting out of control, a mistake, a bad mix of drugs, horniness (sic) and adolescent stupidity. So yea. Don't get all self-righteous or outraged. These things happen.

How far's Temptation along? I want to finish before it's over.

I liked Jake from the beginning. I'd seen my brother Tony hang around with him for years and he'd always acted shy around me. Then at some point, he began to act all cool or indifferent. I would guess that's when he began to like me, or probably when he started to smoke. Jake is the sort of guy who's still figuring out who he is. I mean, he didn't work a lot, dropped out of college. Wasn't too charming or gallant or anything, but he was cute and as close to a bad boy as I had in my reach. The laptop was just the excuse to hang around together. Anyway, I'd had a few relationships before, but nothing serious. Dates, fooling around, but not like love or anything. Did I love Jake? Can't say. This might go down as just a summer fling. Then again, I'd never let a boy go as far as I let him. I liked him, a lot. Oh fuck it and this fear in modern society of using the word "love." Yeah, I loved him.

But will I forgive him? I don't know. Not that I hold a grudge or anything. If he comes and apologizes and asks me tomorrow for forgiveness, I believe I would. Forgiveness is as important as love on this Earth. Jesus, Muhammad, Joseph Smith, Jr, what have you, all stress over and over the nobleness, the sacredness of this most human of things.

But in terms of us getting back together...that is what I don't know. It'd be different now. I personally think I've had a bad influence on him. I want him to take some time off from me and get his bearings straight. As I told him numerous times, he's got to get his life together, he's got to move on and leave the aimlessness and volatility and transience of adolesence behind. Big words, yeah. So you just want a "yes" or "no" answer? Will we or won't we? The name of this story is Computer Hope after all, isn't it? I believe in hope, I like hope. Forever is a long time. Take that for what you will.

*The end*

* * *

Special thanks to all who've hung around and read this far, any and all comments and responses were considered, appreciated and inspiring. I took suggestions and made changes where reasonable and appropriate. This blog will return to its regular columns about politics soon. Until then, as ever...

=//Turnquest

No comments: