2008/02/01

200th Post

This is it. Fookpop has reached its 200th post.

I reached my 100th post back on April 24th of '06, or nearly three months shy of two damn years ago. 'Course, that was when I was posting pretty much every day. The blog itself is already two years old.

Sometimes I suprise myself with my own consistency. I, for one, thought to myself back then posting up lists of news links that no-one clicked on wouldn't be sustainable; that this blog would fall by the wayside like so many other of my pet projects.

Well, as I said, sometimes I surprise myself.

Why keep it going for 2 years and 200 posts?

Boredom.

Nono, bad joke.

The reason (warning, sincerity ahead) is that inside of me there is a voice that screams to be heard. It screams out things I wish my throat would have the courage and ability to articulate. I cannot say what I think accurately. So I write.

One writes not for pleasure, nor for self-gain, nor for profit or for fame. The choice to write does not belong to him or her. In fact, it is not a choice at all. One writes out of necessity and by compulsion of forces outside of his or her control.

One writes because one must.

Anyway, here's a grab-bag brick-a-braq of shit that's been banging around in my skull that I want to mention.

1 - Cellphone companies are the devil. Mobile communication is not just a luxury or tool for busy office workers. It is the standard method of communication for the majority of Canadians, and the exclusive method for millions of people as well. For the under-30 generation, cellphones are more accepted than landlines.

The monopoly on mobile communication ought to wrenched out of their greedy, usurous fists and given to the public.

2 - Public education is broken. Thousands upon thousands of teenagers are receiving high school diplomas, D.E.C.s and higher-education degrees without basic fundamental knowledge, reason or common sense. Ask your average Concordia student who was the first prime minister of Canada. What about when World War II started? Anyone care to guess who shot J.F.K? What the benefits and risks of buying a house are? The degrees in Farenheit that water freezes at? How about the proper way to write a CV?

These are questions your average, well-heeled sixth grader could answer, but not the illiterate, anti-social, obsessive-compulsive nitwits polluting the halls of our higher education institutions.

We ought to force general knowledge quizzes on everyone randomly once a semester. Failure forces you to take a high school level course teaching you shit you should know already. The course would be worth zero credits and only allow you to continue your worthless uneducated existence in our school.

Or maybe we should just execute the louder, dumber students randomly.

3 - Animal rights people, vegans, PETA, all that liberal shit that gives conservatives endless ammunition to call people who believe in universal health care and reasonable social safety nets "dirty hippies." You dirty PETA hippies have sworn your life to defending animals. Animals. ANIMALS? FOR GOD'S SAKE. I can't even continue without my b.p. rising to fatal levels.

4 - Suicides, depression, pharmaceutical abuse and drug usage in general is increasing. People are medicating themselves to death or chronic despair. Do you even know what death is? Do you care?

5 - I say it often, but not often enough. You know, while you're out partying every weekend, tossing shots back down at the pub, stressing about your girlfriend changing her Facebook status, complaining about what to wear for your date, trying to figure out how your cellphone works, what to buy for Valentine's Day and deciding who's hotter, Jessica Alba or Megan Fox,

THERE IS A WAR GOING ON.

Iraqis are dying. American soldiers are dying. Canadian soldiers are dying in Afghanistan. Hundreds of Kenyans are dying in brutal fashion (but that's another story, for another time). Pakistan is going up in flames. The world is more ridiculously violent and crazy than ever before. Not to mention that billions upon billions of dollars are being squandered in the stock market, by banks making bad loans and by stupid consumers buying up every new gadget and clothing item they can find. Students are racking up thousands of dollars of debt. People with graduate degrees can't find jobs. Children are still going to school hungry here in Quebec. Climate change is giving us a schizophrenic and dangerous winter. The government is spying on your e-mail. Music sucks. Election '08.

But whatever, news is depressing, yo. Put on "Lost."

* * *

It's late. I disavow everything I typed here. Forget it. You'll sleep better. Good night.

=//Turnquest

No comments: